Recently I was approached by a representative from Cycling Express which is an online store that started up in Sydney, Australia. They have been in this business since 1999 and today they serve worldwide. Most of them are cyclists like us, so they knew what we wanted. Let me run you thru on the things that they have and my personal experience over their webpage.
About the webpage
At a glance of the home page, you can easily navigate to the things that you wanted. It is all arranged by category like any other online store. All you need to do is browse, pick and paid all from your desk or may be on the run with your smart phone or tablet.
The webpage support English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese and Korean languages. But, for Korean and Japanese they didn’t translate the description. I guessed that was not their targeted areas.
They have a very wide selection of things from complete bicycle to power gel. Basically, it is like a local bike shop (LBS) that you and I visit.
They do have very limited selection of running accessories. It is more like a 1-stop station for those people who do cross training. But, you can skip this section for now.
Their pricing is slightly more than the LBS but they deliver to your door step. So, that saves you time and gas of getting there. But, there are a few items you can find it cheaper than LBS. Also, there is a section where they clear out stocks and some of the items can be a bargain.
There are 2 ways to get in contact with them. The preferred method is email but there is a live chat available too. I happened to use the live chat as I have some technical difficulty with my gift voucher. The representative was very helpful and my issue was resolved within hours. Kudos to that guy.
It is free delivery if the purchase is more than MYR299. Else just pay MYR30 and it will ship within 6 working days. The free delivery excludes bicycle and frame. I personally feel that MYR30 for shipping cost is just way too expensive if my intention is to get an accessories that cost MYR30.
I have just ordered a Topeak Mini Pump on Jul 29 and I will update you all again about the time taken from order to delivery. (Update: I have just cancelled my original purchase and I am adding another item to it. I saw something that I need and like. They are so flexible for me to do so!!! Great support!!! So, the new order date is
Jul 30 Jul 31).
Return & Warranty Policy
Since it is online purchase and don’t get the look and feel of the product but they do allow their customer to return if they do not like it. Minimum charges for returning an accessory is MYR90 and maximum charge is to return a bike which is MYR550. This is like postage plus restocking fees. Good thing is they will pick it up from your home. There is no information about warranty claims. But, they did mention if the products were sent at their fault, they will cover all charges. I guessed that covers the warranty requirement.
The things that I like about this website are:-
- They ship internationally. There are a few website that I have been using and shipping is only within US. This is a major problem for me as I have to get someone to hand carry back for me.
- Since this company is setup in Australia, I can trust their products are genuine.
- They cover wide variety of top brands and models. For example, if I am looking for tires, I can easily get the tires that I want.
The only thing that I probably won’t buy online is bike. This is my personal preference as in US and Europe this is already very common. The trending in Malaysia may not pick up yet probably due to:-
- Look and feel – I can’t see the color, feel the bike, test if the fitting fits me or not sure if the bike is too heavy for me.
- Insecure – Unable to inspect for hairline crack, uneven/sloppy pain job and defective parts. All these will create hassles for return as the item is big.
- Service & Warranty
- No personal touch – I can always bring back the bike to the shop if I encounter any problem. For online purchase, I have to install the bike on my own which I may not know how or have time.
- Reputation of the company – Not sure about the company claim policy comparing with LBS. Is the bike genuine?
From what the representative told me, they are negotiating with the LBS now for bikes servicing. At least that covers the Service & Warranty part. I will update the list of LBS once they have finalized it.
You can now click to this link and start shopping! I know I am getting 2 things from them now. www.cyclingexpress.com